Nowhere

Solo Exhibition featuring the sculptures of Matthew Boonstra

May 20, 2017 – June 20, 2017

Artist Bio

Matthew Boonstra received his Master of Fine Arts Degree from Michigan State University and Bachelors of Fine Arts from Eastern Michigan University.  He has exhibited his sculptures nationally including; International Sculpture Center in Hamilton, NJ., Reese Museum in New Johnson, TN., Urban Institute of Contemporary Art in Grand Rapids, MI.. Additionally, Boonstra has received numerous artistic awards and distinctions including, Alliance of the Swope Award of Distinction -Swope Art Museum, Visual Arts Fellowship– Oklahoma Visual Arts Coalition andpublication and Sculpture Magazine. Boonstra is an Assistant Professor of Sculpture at Eastern Illinois University and resides in Charleston, Illinois.

Artist Statement

I utilize my studio practice to explore my interest in materials, processes, and concepts in a free associative manner.  These investigations are developed in an autobiographical context concerning my role in contemporary life.  For example, my recent series, Nowhere, was developed to explore my feelings of living in rural central Illinois. The investment of making has helped me internalize thoughts and then in turn externalize my feelings. I hope to lead the viewer to question the nature of the object, and how and why it exists.

For more information about the artist please visitwww.mattboonstra.com

wood shape with hexagon holes in it
sculpture of thin sticks of wood
white wood with holes in it