All students, regardless of major, apply through Michigan State University’s Office of Admissions. You will need to identify your intended major on your application for maximum scholarship consideration.
- BA Art History & Visual Culture
- BA Apparel & Textiles
- BFA Apparel & Textile Design
- BFA Graphic Design
- BA Studio Art
- BFA Studio Art
- BFA Art Education
The University uses rolling admission, so early application is strongly encouraged. For maximum admission and scholarship consideration:
- High school seniors are encouraged to apply between August and November 1 of their senior year.
- Transfer students are encouraged to apply six months prior to the desired term of enrollment.
- International students applying for Fall Semester admission are encouraged to apply during the fall of the prior year for maximum consideration. International students applying for Spring Semester admission may begin applying in September before the start of the desired enrollment term.
Do I need a portfolio for admission?
Portfolios of creative work are not required for admission to MSU or to begin any of our degree programs.
That said, students intending to major in Apparel and Textiles, Graphic Design, or Studio Art BFA programs at Michigan State University may attend an optional portfolio review during Portfolio Days. Students attending Portfolio Day will be considered for creative and merit-based scholarships and acceptance to their BFA Program (bypassing the sophomore year review). This review process is separate from MSU’s Office of Admissions and does not affect a student’s application or admittance to MSU.
Portfolio Submission/Portfolio Reviews
Exploring colleges can be complex and we are here to help you answer any questions you may have about the process. Please feel free to e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org or contact us by phone at 517.355.7610, Monday – Friday from 8AM – 5PM
Department of Art, Art History, and Design Academic Advisor
105C Kresge Art Center