The deadline for applicants to the MFA program is due on January 5, 2022.
Requirements and Application Process
Michigan State University has an online application system through the Office of Admissions. To be considered for admission to the Master of Fine Arts Degree Program in Studio Art, an applicant must submit materials digitally to MSU’s Graduate Admissions System and Slideroom.
Required Application Documents
- Statement of Intent / Artist Statement: This brief statement provides the applicant an opportunity to discuss their work, the issues they find most compelling that drive this work, and address sources that inform their work. Please address reasons/goals for pursuing the MFA degree track in the Department of Art, Art History, and Design at Michigan State University.
- The personal statement is an opportunity to share biographical information relevant to the review committee to know, but that doesn’t necessarily fit within the statement of intent/artist statement. Consider biographical information, interests, hardships, your past education experience, and future educational goals, professional goals.
- Transcripts from your undergraduate institution(s) must be official transcripts (generally sent directly from the institution). A cumulative 3.0 GPA is a requirement of the Department of Art, Art History, and Design at Michigan State University for regular admittance. We will accept transcripts sent from the student if they are stamped and or signed officially on the back by the institution.
- Current resume/CV should include academic honors, scholarships, exhibition record, special skills and expertise, and prior teaching experience
- Three letters of recommendation from faculty members or others who are familiar with the applicant’s creative research. These can be sent directly to the department and addressed to “Master of Fine Arts Review Committee”
- Portfolio of 15-20 images – must be submitted digitally using slideroom.
- TOEFL / IELTS – International Students are required to take an English Language Proficiency exam.
For more information, please contact email@example.com.
Fall Semester 2021 Interim Director of Graduate Studies Laura Cloud firstname.lastname@example.org
Spring Semester 2022 Director of Graduate Studies Zachary Kaiser email@example.com