Student Receives VIP Access to New York Fashion Week

As the winner of the Spartan Fashion Design Collection Competition, Apparel and Textile Design senior Chantel Booker earned an all-expense-paid trip to New York Fashion Week (NYFW) where she received VIP behind-the-scenes access to fashion houses and some of the most prestigious events in the fashion industry.

Booker was one of 21 students from 15 different schools selected for this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity thanks to a partnership the participating schools have with IMG College Licensing, which funded the trips.  

During their time in New York, the students experienced all things fashion, where they enjoyed behind-the-scenes tours of venues; attended networking dinners; met with Elaine Welteroth, former Editor-in-Chief of Teen Vogue, and photographer Tyler Mitchell, who shot the photos of Beyoncé for the September 2018 issue of Vogue; and visited the corporate offices for Victoria’s Secret PINK and Macy’s.

In addition, Macy’s hosted a lunch for them where they learned about the inner workings of merchandising and buying for the company, and during their visit to PINK, the students sat in on talks with a representative from the design team.

I was able to learn and witness so many things that will definitely have a positive impact on my future as a designer. I feel like I’m one step closer to where I dreamed of being.

“This opportunity has allowed me to take part in such an amazing experience,” Booker said. “I was able to learn and witness so many things that will definitely have a positive impact on my future as a designer. I feel like I’m one step closer to where I dreamed of being.”

Booker was the only student from Michigan State University selected for the New York Fashion Week trip. Each participating university had a different process for deciding who would represent their institution. At MSU, it was the Spartan Fashion Design Collection Competition that helped determine a winner.

For that contest, students were asked to design a piece of apparel that represents what they feel makes MSU an outstanding university.  

girl with hands on hips modeling a dress with headpiece
Chantel Booker’s winning dress design, modeled by classmate Dana Konkel

“My answer to this was MSU’s community makes it great. Our community is made up of people from so many diverse backgrounds,” said Booker, who used a heavyweight black fabric for her dress to “represent how the members of the community can come together and rise above our past and be stronger.” 

MSU’s Apparel and Textile Design Program, Booker says, has allowed her to “design in a way that enhances and expands my creative ability in ways that I never knew I could.” She credits Associate Professor Theresa Winge and Academic Specialist Rebecca Schuiling with helping to push her out of her comfort zone to ultimately secure a spot at NYFW.  

“I honestly feel that without Dr. Theresa Winge and Rebecca Schuiling, I definitely would not be the designer I am today,” Booker said. “They always make themselves available and offer advice and critiques when I need it. Their selflessness goes beyond what most professors provide and for that I am forever grateful.”