Gaining Graphic Design Experience Through Global Remote Internship Program

Jett Mitchell, a Graphic Design and Apparel and Textile Design senior, recently completed a design internship with the London-based company Bulbshare, which was made possible through the Excel Network’s Global Remote Internship Program.

As part of this remote internship, which lasted one semester, Mitchell managed the company’s marketing and social media assets, created designs/mockups for infographics, and worked towards improving the company’s branding. 

My internship experience boosted my overall confidence with interviews and ability to accomplish tasks related to graphic design.

“My internship experience boosted my overall confidence with interviews and ability to accomplish tasks related to graphic design,” Mitchell said. “I built upon my flexibility and creativity. I had to get creative at times with projects. In the past, I would rely on one software to give me everything I needed, but when you have lots of people with lots of opinions, you must think outside the box.”

During the internship, Mitchell met with Bulbshare’s content manager each day through Google meet video calls where they discussed current and upcoming projects.

Woman with black hair is smiling. She is wearing a white blouse and gold earrings
Jett Mitchell

“My favorite part of the internship was gaining experience and confidence in graphic design, but I also really enjoyed making connections with new people,” she said. “I learned that in the design field there are lots of outside factors that contribute to good design. For example, having flexible copy to work with, proofreading/checking for errors, knowing your audience and your goals. I also learned that it’s important to ask for help because you never know who is willing to help you.” 

By partnering with internship provider organizations around the world, the Global Remote Internship Program enables students to secure virtual internships with international companies or organizations so they may gain valuable work experience while learning how to communicate and operate in an international context.

The internships are geared toward a wide variety of disciplines, ranging from fashion and publishing to international development, web design, and entrepreneurship. Locations for remote internships include Italy, Japan, South Africa, Australia, and Argentina, among others. 

My advice for other students seeking out internship opportunities would be to never stop looking even if one thing goes wrong, and never stop asking people about opportunities.

“My time at MSU really prepared me for my internship in terms of graphic design experience,” Mitchell said. “I felt like a lot of the things I was asked to work on I already had experience within class. I also think the amount of guidance leading up to the internship from MSU staff was helpful.”

Mitchell’s time working for Bulbshare also provided insight into the career paths she could follow after graduation. As an Apparel and Textile Design major, she hopes to pursue fashion design to the fullest extent and to become a designer. Additionally, as a graphic design major, she’s also interested in working for a magazine, as a freelance graphic designer, or in the creative industry.  

“My advice for other students seeking out internship opportunities would be to never stop looking even if one thing goes wrong, and never stop asking people about opportunities,” she said. “My original plan for my first internship didn’t work due to the pandemic and I was ready to wait until the following summer to try again. Instead, I took a chance when I learned about the global remote internship. Although it wasn’t going to include travel, I would still gain experience.”