SAME THING, DIFFERENT NOW

Hannah Gartley

BFA Solo Exhibition

Kresge Art Center | Gallery 114

April 8 – April 12, 2024 

Closing Reception: Friday, April 12 | 6 – 8 pm

Same Thing, Different Now focuses on the intricate, intimate, and often times hidden parts of one’s self. The subjects in these photographs are close friends of mine and self-portraits to represent a range of individuals. This body of work either contains dark dramatic scenes or switches to brightly lit and colorful environments. A common theme in my work is the general movement and haziness I portray in these compositions, blurring the line between abstraction and realism within the confines of each composition. The motion blur l use is a signature statement within each of my photographs due to the illusion I am able to create, highlighting details on the individual while also portraying the “hidden” parts of one’s self by creating that extra layer of the whimsical spirit over the real.

In terms of my process, I work intuitively and collaboratively with my model. Dramatic lighting paired with evocative color creates emotional responses to the narratives. Color schemes in my photographs range from red, blue, pink, orange, and purple-utilizing specific palettes to evoke a sense of nostalgia and moodiness. I use little to no props, sticking with flowers or objects around me in order to infuse my photographs with a simplistic yet delicate touch, which leaves room for the viewer to piece together stories of their own onto my images. My goal is to capture my subjects’ stories, and my own, with sensitivity, beauty, and intimacy — and that through this process – we will learn more about ourselves and others.